Course registration is web-based at Ohio State. The courses and number of credit hours attempted each semester are mutually determined by the student and advisor.
The Graduate School is available to assist graduate students, faculty, and staff with issues and questions regarding registration. In addition, Section 3 in the Graduate School Handbook provides detailed information about registration issues related to graduate students and graduate programs.
Course loads for full-time graduate students can vary depending upon a student's appointment or degree program landmarks. However, graduate students may not enroll for more than 18 credit hours per semester, including audited courses, without advisor and Graduate School approval.
- Students should plan their schedules after consulting with their advisors, program requirements, and the Ohio State master schedule of courses.
- Go to Ohio State's home page and click on "Buckeye Link"
- Click "My Student Center" under the SIS Student Center header
- Enter username (lastname.#) and password
- In the Student Center, under Academics, click "Add a class"
- Search the Master Schedule or enter the Class Number for the course you wish to register for.
NOTE: The Class Number is a 4-5 digit number included on the Master Schedule after the Course Number and surrounded by parentheses.
department course# class#
SOCWORK 747-0040 (17834)
7. Once a specific course is selected, it is placed in your Shopping Cart. It is important to click Proceed To Step 2 Of Three.
8. This will take you to the confirmation page. Select Finish Enrolling to finalize your registration. If the class has been successfully added to your schedule, a success message will appear.
9. If you receive an error message, check to see what type of error is indicated (prerequisites required, permission required, if class is full, etc.). Complete a Course Enrollment Permission form (available online at www.gradsch.ohio-state.edu/Depo/PDF/CourseEnrollment.pdf and in department offices), have it signed by your instructor and advisor, and bring it to the Graduate School to have your class(es)added.
Note: The Graduate School will accept an instructor email in lieu of his or her signature. Forward the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org: your instructor’s email response, your Ohio State Username (name. #), semester and year of course, course department, course number, class number, and number of credit hours.
Health insurance and registration
All students, including regional campus students, enrolled at least half time, are automatically enrolled in the Comprehensive Student Health Insurance Plan and are charged health insurance premiums as part of their registration fees unless they waive out of the insurance plan by the published deadline of their first term of enrollment each academic year. Graduate Non-Degree students are not eligible for student health insurance unless granted an exception. Students who opt out of university coverage must provide proof of alternate coverage. In order to select or waive university coverage for the current academic year, students should navigate to their Student Center through Buckeye Link. Under the Finances tab, select the link to Select/Waive Coverage. For additional information, contact the Student Health Insurance Program: shi.osu.edu or 614-688-7979
Questions may be directed to staff members in Registration Services at (614) 292-6031.